A brief History of the Hillside House in Jerome Arizona
Paul Smyly and Family in front of the Hillside House
Paul Smyly, a Jerome merchant and saloon keeper became enamoured with Emma Rucker who was a captain in the Salvation Army. Emma would not, could not, accept the attentions of a gentleman who sold liquor. In order to win her hand, Paul sold his Saloon and purchased a soft drink bottling company. This works had begun operation in 1894 and was owned by William Smith & Paul Smyly.
Paul and Emma were married on August 16, 1898. They built the Hillside House in 1904.